Smoking is certainly a very unhealthy thing to do and the tobacco companies make billions off the suffering and death of millions of addicted smokers every year, but if governments really wanted to do something about it, they would invest in smoking education and cessation programs and they would move to at least stop tobacco companies from increasing nicotine levels in their products and mixing in all kinds of toxic addictives (as they also allow in foods for that matter). But you see very little of this. Instead, it is the user who is attacked rather than the pusher, same as with most drugs, legal or illegal.
Whether it is socialism, communism, fascism, feudalism, military junta, organized crime, theocratic rule or any other of the many faces of tyranny in the world, the message is always: “You belong to the State. You are a slave. You do what WE say, or else.” There is no freedom in that and in this world, access to undistorted information and education on smoking and how to avoid addiction or sucessfully and permanently get off the addiction is hard to come by. If it was easy, then you would not see over a billion smokers worldwide who just keep on smoking, not because they enjoy it, but because they don’t have the slightest idea as to how to stop doing it.
So what does the UK government invest in? Plain-clothes Stasi tattle-tale patrols who sit in bars and restaurants, waiting to catch the evil smoker lighting one up. Yeah, it’s true and they are hiring thousands of these little snitches to spy on people. Then you know, while they are waiting to catch a smoking criminal, they have to have something else to do in the meantime. Yeah, that’s right, they are going to be watching you non-smokers to see if you tied your laces properly, or how many sheets of toilet paper you used (well, it’s to fight global warming you know) or to profile you as a potential terrorist or thought-criminal with the wrong political opinions.
So the point is I guess if you like fascism or communism, then go ahead and support ANTI-SMOKER campaigns.
Smoking is healthier than fascism
A wealth of overlooked yet frightening literature concerning the Nazi crusade against smoking provides a clear parallel to contemporary developments and an alarming warning that state restriction of personal habits is the pre-cursor to dictatorship.
Beginning in the early 1930’s, as part of the Nazi agenda for racial purity, Hitler spearheaded a national campaign to ban smoking in all public buildings, and denounced the practice as a betrayal of the fascist drive for bodily purity.
“Brother national socialist, do you know that our Führer is against smoking and think that every German is responsible to the whole people for all his deeds and emissions, and does not have the right to damage his body with drugs?” stated one magazine.
As I wrote earlier this year , “The regulation of the personal habit of smoking, including new legislative moves in San Francisco to ban cigarettes in private homes, and its enforcement by an eager cadre of state snoops and snitches, represents nothing more than a move on behalf of big brother towards the complete subjugation and shackling of the individual.”
Read these shocking parallels and compare them to the endless lecturing we are forced to endure today about our personal lifestyle choices by the state and their propaganda arm, the mass media.
– The Nazis banned tobacco advertising and financed huge public relations campaigns to propagandize people into giving up smoking.
– The Nazis banned smoking in government offices, civic transport, university campuses, rest homes, post offices, many restaurants and bars, hospital grounds and workplaces, and Hitler gave awards to associates who quit the habit.
– A ban on smoking in private vehicles was called for.
– The Nazi Reich Health Office warned that smoking caused impotence and produced posters depicting smoking as a dirty habit of Jews, Gypsies, blacks, intellectuals and Indians.
– Nazi lobbyists lectured terrified children in schools on the horrors of racial impurity as a result of smoking.
– The term “passive smoking” (Passivrauchen) was coined by the Nazi Anti-Tobacco League. Its author, Fritz Lickint, offered no supporting evidence to claim that smokers poisoned everyone around them, while also stating that drinking coffee caused cancer.
– Hitler was an ardent vegetarian and did not smoke or drink after the age of 30, even accrediting the rise of fascism to his success in kicking the habit. He forbade anyone from smoking in a room he might enter. Fellow fascist leaders Mussolini, Napoleon and Franco also detested smoking.
– The Nazi anti-smoking crusade was unleashed with the help of manufactured junk science on behalf of the medical and health establishment, one such example being that smoking caused “spontaneous abortions” in pregnant women.
– Hitler attempted to price out smoking for Germans, levying huge taxes on cigarettes.
– Despite the Nazi propaganda crusade against smoking, tobacco sales increased in Germany, leading some history professors to hypothesize that smoking was an act of cultural resistance against fascism, until the late 1930’s after smoking was banned in most public buildings and tobacco sales rapidly declined.
Another Nazi anti-smoking propaganda poster depicts a jackboot kicking a cigarette, a cigar and a pipe.
What conclusions can we draw from these parallels? Either the Nazis were benign really cared about everyone’s health or they used the specter of anti-smoking to exert massive control over people’s lives and scale back basic freedoms, getting a foot in the door for the political dictatorship that was to follow.
Similarly today, either the same elite that advocate “mass culling” of the majority of the world’s population really do care about public health and well-being or they are using the excuse of the anti-smoking drive to condition us to accept state regulation over every aspect of our personal lives.
It’s all about control, it’s all about letting you know who the bosses are. If the government can regulate personal habits and behavior, what’s next? If the state is so concerned about our good health as they would have you believe, why not use the latest scientific advancements to remove that nasty aggressive gene that causes so much unhappiness? Well, you’re causing those around you distress and harming their health so why not? Are your political opinions a mental illness? Are they harming society? Perhaps we should ban certain types of “free” speech that is offensive to others.
You see where this is all heading – how long before our wall mounted personal x-ray body scanners are accompanied by special smoke detectors that inform on you to the local Stasi if you dare to light up?
We live in a paranoid world overpopulated by ninnying jellyfish who dare not dip their toe in the water in case there’s a law against it, it might upset someone, or it might be bad for their health.
Many people will read this article having lost loved ones as a result of smoking. Please don’t have a knee jerk emotional reaction, try to understand that the point I’m making – smoking is unhealthy but it is healthier than fascism and government regulation of personal habits leads to dictatorship.
The fact that the very language and policies that we are now bombarded with as a justification for state regulation of our personal lifestyle choices are directly lifted from Nazi policies for racial hygiene from the 1930’s should alarm us all and act as a wake up call to the true agenda behind today’s anti-smoking purge.