Monthly Archives: May 2011

One dead, two injured after Virginia sheriff’s deputy goes on bloody rampage


Jonathan Agee will be charged with murder after he shot his ex-wife Jennifer Agee. WSLS

DAILY NEWS | May 30, 2011

BY Nina Mandell

An off-duty county sheriff’s deputy killed his ex-wife and shot a state trooper before he was wounded during a bloody Memorial Day rampage in Roanoke, Virginia.

The chaos began when Jonathan Agee shot his former wife Jennifer at a Sheetz convenience store parking lot, WSLS 10 reported.

After he drove away from the scene, police issued an alert with information about his vehicle and an advisory to be on the lookout for him. Shortly thereafter, Sgt. Matt Brannock spotted a car fitting the description and followed it, a police spokesman said.

As Brannock pulled up beside Agee on the highway exit ramp, Agee began firing at the officer, hitting him and causing him to take cover.

Agee continued driving and exchanged fire with two more state troopers before he was shot, police said. The troopers were not injured.

Both Agee and Brannock were airlifted to a local hospital, where Agee’s injuries are being treated as life threatening, according to CNN. Brannock, a 35-year-old Air Force Veteran, is expected to recover.

“The focus of investigators right now is piecing together the exact sequence of events leading up to both shootings,” said Col. W. Steven Flaherty, Virginia State Police superintendent. “This is a difficult day, needless to say, for Virginia’s law enforcement community.”

Jennifer Agee was taken to the same hospital where she later died, police said.

If he does survive his injuries, Jonathan Agee will face murder chargers. He has already been suspended from the Franklin County Sheriff’s office without pay, WSLS-TV reported.

It was not clear what made the 32-year-old deputy snap.

U.S. Rates of Autism, ADHD Continue to Rise: Report

Study finds 1 in 6 kids now have a developmental disability, perhaps due to better diagnosis

usnews.com | May 23, 2011

By Jenifer Goodwin

MONDAY, May 23 (HealthDay News) — One in six U.S. children now has a developmental disability such as autism, learning disorders or attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), according to new research from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

That number appears to be on the rise. In 1997-1999, about 12.8 percent of kids were diagnosed with a developmental disability. That number rose to 15 percent in 2006-2008 — or an additional 1.8 million U.S. children.

Much of the bump up in cases seems driven by rising rates of autism and ADHD, experts say.

“The most important message here is raising awareness of the importance of this as a health problem and one we need to address,” said lead study author Coleen Boyle, director of the U.S. National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities. “Children are our future, and many of these children can grow up to be very productive citizens, so we need to invest in programs to help facilitate their development.”

Researchers used data from the 1997-2008 National Health Interview Surveys, an annual, nationally representative survey of U.S. households. The surveys asked parents of children aged 3 to 17 if their children had been diagnosed with ADHD, intellectual disability, cerebral palsy, autism, seizures, stuttering or stammering, moderate to profound hearing loss, blindness, learning disorders and/or other developmental delays.

Related

One in six kids has a developmental disability: Pediatrics; Rise in ADHD, autism diagnoses

Nearly 10 million U.S. children had been diagnosed with one of those conditions in 2006-2008, according to parental reports.

Much of the increase is being driven by ADHD and autism diagnoses, Boyle said. About 7.6 percent of children were diagnosed with ADHD in 2006-2008, up from 5.7 percent in 1997-1999. About 0.74 percent of kids had received in autism diagnosis in 2006-2008, up from 0.19 percent in 1997-1999.

The number of children slotted under “other developmental delays,” a catch-all category, also rose from 3.4 percent to 4.24 percent.

The study is published online May 23 and in the June print issue of Pediatrics.

So, are the number of children with developmental disabilities on the rise, or are parents and doctors getting better at detecting cases? According to Dr. Nancy Murphy, chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics’ Council on Children with Disabilities, the increases in these conditions may signify a greater awareness on the part of parents, teachers and health care professionals to identify children with disabilities and get them help.

That could mean that kids that might have been dismissed as simply being “slow” or disobedient in the past may now be getting some extra help to realize their potential, Murphy said.

“It speaks to providers and educators and parents being attentive to when kids are struggling, and that attentiveness is bringing them into systems that can generate diagnoses,” Murphy said. “There is a greater willingness to say, ‘My kid is struggling — not because he’s a bad kid but he may need a different approach to learning or development or behavior than he or she is getting.'”

One unanswered question is whether greater awareness and efforts to diagnose kids is the only explanation, or if there actually are a greater percentage of kids who are being born with or developing disabilities such as autism and ADHD early in life.

Research has suggested that advanced maternal and paternal age, assisted reproductive technology and greater numbers of premature or late-preterm births, could all be factors in some developmental disabilities, Boyle said. However, those are areas that need much more research, she added.

Improvements in medical technology also means that children born with very serious developmental disabilities, such as neuromuscular or chromosomal disorders, are now surviving conditions that would have killed them in the past. That could also explain some of the uptick in numbers, Murphy said.

In other findings, boys were more likely to have a developmental disability than girls. Hispanic children were the least likely to be diagnosed with a number of disabilities, compared with white and black children.

Full Story

CDC admits flu vaccines don’t work

presstv.ir | May 30, 2011

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the vaccine industry are fronting a contradictory logic. “Our vaccines work so well that they offer almost total immunity from the flu,” they claim. And yet somehow they also work so poorly that they “wear off” after a year and require you to be re-vaccinated annually.

This is the Great Big Lie of the vaccine industry: The lie that says you have to be re-vaccinated each and every year, often with the exact same strains you were vaccinated with the previous year.

But if vaccines work so amazingly well as the CDC and the vaccine industry (fraudulently) suggest, then why do you need the same shot year after year?

Well, according to the CDC, “Vaccines wear off.”

HIGHLIGHTS

Vaccines don’t work as advertised. And that’s why the vaccine industry has to keep pushing the same vaccine strains year after year. infowars.com

If vaccines actually worked as intended, they would give you lifetime immunity against whatever strains you were injected with.

Vaccine makers say they plan to make a record amount of flu vaccine for this fall and winter – enough for more than half the population.

Five vaccine manufacturers plan to make between 166 million and 173 million doses for the coming season. That’s at least 6 million more than the maximum ever produced.

Government health officials are urging nearly everyone to get this fall’s flu shot. They say a vaccine’s protection can fade significantly after several months.

Even the CDC has openly admitted – on the record – that “flu vaccines stop working after several months.”

Pneumonia jabs for pensioners to be scrapped ‘as they don’t work’

dailymail.co.uk | May 31, 2011

By Jenny Hope

Pneumonia jabs for the over-65s are to be scrapped by the Government because they do not save lives.

Millions of pensioners have been vaccinated with a one-off jab that was supposed to give ten-year protection against an infection that causes pneumonia.

The vaccine programme is estimated to have swallowed up  £100million – with jabs costing around £20 each including GPs’ time – since it was launched in 2005.

As recently as January, the Department of Health was issuing promotional leaflets for the jab despite a number of studies questioning whether it works.

But independent experts on the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), which advises the Government, claim it has had ‘no discernible impact’ on rates of pneumococcal disease.

It said the protection provided by the vaccine is poor and not long- lasting in older people.

It has told the Government’s director of immunisation, Professor David Salisbury, there is little benefit in continuing the programme and it should be stopped.

However, the jab should still be given to children and people with risk factors such as respiratory and heart disease as the evidence is more ‘robust’, says the JCVI.

The type of jab for over-65s is pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine sold under brand names Pneumovax and Pneumovax II. A different type is used in children.

The jab for older people has been linked to 30 deaths and more than 3,300 reported side effects, including heart disorders and joint and muscle pain, according to official figures from the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency.
It is offered when pensioners  get their annual flu jab, with a  typical uptake of 70 per cent,  suggesting at least 3.8million people have had it.

The jab is meant to work against 23 common types of pneumococcal disease bugs but there has been mounting evidence it does not cut the risk of pneumonia in over-65s.

Even in 2005, when the programme in older people started after a majority vote in favour by the JCVI, there were doubts.

Last night Professor Salisbury said: ‘The experts that advise us on vaccine programmes have recently reviewed the pneumococcal vaccination programme for over-65s and concluded the protection it offers is not effective enough and that the programme should cease.’

Charlotte Linacre, of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, claimed the programme should have been reviewed earlier.

She said: ‘The Department of Health shouldn’t just throw  money at a project without reviewing its effectiveness.’

EU food safety agency to test aspartame

euractiv.com | May 30, 2011

After the publication of new scientific studies revealing the potential negative impact of aspartame on pregnant women and evidence linking the sweetener with an increased risk of cancer, the European Commission has asked the EU’s food safety watchdog (EFSA) to conduct a full re-evaluation of the substance by July 2012.

Aspartame has already been re-assessed five times since it was authorised for use in the EU in 1994. The next review of the chemical sweetener was foreseen for 2020 as part of the systematic re-evaluation of all authorised food additives in the EU.

But following intense political pressure from members of the European Parliament, who were alarmed by new scientific studies showing its potential negative effects, the EU executive has requested the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) to bring forward a full re-evaluation of the sweetener’s safety to 2012.

Cause of premature childbirth, cancer?

Two studies of the possible health risks related to the consumption of artificial sweeteners were published last year.

A carcinogenicity study in mice exposed to aspartame in feed, conducted by Italian oncologist Morando Soffritti, signalled an increased risk of liver and lung cancer in mice exposed to the chemical sweetener over the course of their lives.

An epidemiological study involving 60,000 pregnant women, carried out by Icelandic researcher Thorhallur Halldorsson, demonstrated that there is a link between intakes of artificially sweetened soft drinks and increased incidences of premature childbirth.

In a February 2011 statement, EFSA concluded that the two studies do not give any reason to reconsider previous safety assessments of aspartame or of other sweeteners currently authorised in the EU.

Full Story

Video games being blamed for divorce as men ‘prefer World of Warcraft to their wives’


Game over: Increasing numbers of women who are filing for divorce have cited their husband’s obsession with video games as one reason for the split

Daily Mail | May 31, 2011

By Lydia Warren

A growing number of marriages are being wrecked by video game addiction.

More women filing for divorce are complaining that their husbands spend too long playing video games, according to research.

Of those wives who cite unreasonable behaviour for ending their marriage, 15 per cent believe their partners put gaming before them.

This has soared from five per cent a year ago, the study by Divorce Online found.

In particular, disgruntled wives blamed World of Warcraft, which allows gamers to create their own fantasy character for mythical adventures, and Call Of Duty, where gamers battle in various war zones.

The games have faced heavy criticism in the past for their addictive properties, with some claiming that World of Warcraft is more addictive than cocaine.

One wife who blames her husband’s obsession for the breakdown of their marriage is Jessica Ellis, 24, from London.

She said: ‘He was addicted to World of Warcraft but played other games now and then. The amount he was playing gradually increased until I could not take it any more.

‘When it became serious he was playing up to eight hours a day. I was constantly trying to get him to cut back but he didn’t think he had a problem until I told him I wanted to leave. But by that time it was too late.’

Ryan G Van Cleave, an expert on video game addiction, said many partners were unaware that gaming can become an addiction.

He said: ‘The problem spouses encounter with video game addiction is that the non-gamer doesn’t appreciate that it’s an addiction. This means it’s not a choice to spend so much time in a virtual environment versus time with the spouse and family. It’s a compulsion.

‘The reality is that with the proper professional support, a video game addict, like any other type of addict, can overcome the addiction.’

The study looked at 200 unreasonable behaviour petitions filed by women.

Divorce Online managing director Mark Keenan said his team carried out the research after noticing World of Warcraft was repeatedly cited by unhappy wives.

He said: ‘I was surprised by the result at first, but I would expect the number to be even higher next year.

‘The increase could be a consequence of people staying indoors more because of the recession, or it might be being used by men in particular as a means of escape from an already unhappy relationship.’

Prince Harry and Princess Eugenie are ‘stained’ by support for ‘lewd’ nightclub scene


Stained: Prince Harry and Princess Eugenie leave their friend Guy Pelly’s Chelsea nightclub Photo: OPTICPHOTOS.COM

Prince Harry and his cousin Princess Eugenie leave their friend Guy Pelly’s controversial Chelsea nightclub with drinks stains on their clothes.

Prince Harry and Princess Eugenie are stained by support for their friend Guy Pelly

Telegraph | May 29, 2011

By Richard Eden

For a nightclub facing the loss of its licence because of the rowdy behaviour of its patrons, it is perhaps not the best publicity. Prince Harry and Princess Eugenie were photographed looking dishevelled as they left Public in Chelsea with conspicuous drinks stains on their clothes.

As he made his way at 2.30am to a car waiting outside the nightspot co-owned by his friend Guy Pelly, the 26-year-old Prince was almost unrecognisable from his elegant appearance as best man at his brother Prince William’s royal wedding.

Accompanied by four protection officers, his blue shirt was stained down one of his sleeves. The mini-dress worn by his 21-year-old cousin, who had two bodyguards, was also splattered by drink.

Related

Howard Spooner, Public’s co-owner, announced this month that it would appeal against a licensing panel’s decision to reduce its opening hours after complaints from neighbours about lewd behaviour in the street.

The nightspot, which opened in December, will be required to close at midnight and have its customers off the premises by 12.30am.

Mark Daley, a former councillor, told the hearing at Kensington Town Hall in London: “I have had complaints that people were doing some very unpleasant things including having sex, vomiting, urinating and defecating.”